Two Minute Retirement Readiness Tips

Thursday, July 22, 2010

My Radio Show-Why I Do It

After a recent radio show, someone commented on how I focused on not just financial issues but had guests dealing in various areas of life planning on my show.

“Wouldn’t it make more sense to talk about investments and products like the guys on TV?”

I took a deep breath and explained, there are many people offering investment advice (myself included) but what I am trying to do is go beyond products and returns. I want my listeners to realize planning for their retirement goes beyond the value of their 401k. It involves setting goals, celebrating milestones, and envisioning the lifestyle they want.

It means understanding their current position, identifying strengths and weakness and creating strategies for their unique situation not a “boiler plate cure-all”. I also want them to realize the importance of preparing now for when they are gone.

I want them to understand the importance of a healthy lifestyle and the possibility of living twenty, thirty years past traditional retirement, maybe even longer.

I want them to rethink and recreate the old ideas of retirement no longer thinking of it as the “beginning of the end” but to enter this new stage of life prepared and ready to live it like they own it‼