Two Minute Retirement Readiness Tips

Friday, July 2, 2010

Take A Break, It’s Good For You

We just returned from a week’s vacation in Georgia visiting my mother. I gained a few pounds, played some golf, and spent time with relatives, some I haven’t seen in over forty years. My mother lives in is a small Mayberryesque town in central Georgia, similar to the size and feeling we see throughout New England.

It is nice to get away. A break in your day- to- day routine gets you out of the mechanical doldrums you settle into and wakes you up, physically and mentally. While on vacation I managed to stay away from business (except for the occasional phone call or email), I feasted on the local food (I can still taste the fried chicken, and greens), and we enjoyed travelling through the area with my mother and her brother Jack as our tour guides.

This was the perfect time to get away and relax and recharge, the first half of the year was ending and I am getting ready to charge full stride into to the second half with renewed enthusiasm. Breaking your daily grind whether you take time off, start a new project, even something as simple as rearranging your work area (move your desk to give you a different view) can make a difference.